Monday, January 5, 2009

Sony Reader: I Like it!

Here's a photo taken with the iPhone of my Sony Reader PRS-505 in the optional cover with reading light:



Here's a close-up of the screen with the reading light on:



@mikecane on Twitter was a great help in introducing me to the Sony Reader. I've been reading ebooks from eReader on my iPhone and on Windows Mobile devices before that, but the larger screen size and the e-ink display make reading a book on the Sony Reader much more pleasant than reading on cell phone.

I've been experimenting with several ways to get content on the Reader. The Sony Reader software only works with Windows. That's one black mark; they need a Mac version! Fortunately, it works with Windows running in Parallels or VMWare. Alternatively, wetasphalt.com describes a method for putting ebooks on your Reader using a program called calibre. Using those instructions and some scripts I found on the Internet, I was able to convert some of the books I'd purchased from Ereader.com to Sony's format and copy them to my Reader. The reader also works with books in ePub format, which @mikecane says will be huge. Adobe Digital Editions content can also be transferred to the reader as can PDF, RTF, and TXT documents. I found that PDFs can be tricky. If the documents aren't formatted for the Reader's 3x5 screen, they can be hard to read. I've already read a couple of books on the Reader, and I'm hooked.

No comments:

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...