Wednesday, June 17, 2009

iPhone 3.0: The upgrade that almost wasn't



When 12:00 PM Central Time came, I plugged my iPhone into iTunes and updated my original iPhone with the 3.0 firmware. I had no problem with the activation and syncing. Everything seemed to go without a hitch. Except, when I tried to check my email, I got the error shown on the screen capture above. Same thing with Safari. I couldn't access any online content. The problem? A few months ago, I signed up for a Blackberry Bold on AT&T because I missed the keyboard. Still, there's a lot I like about my iPhone so I frequently put my SIM back in the iPhone. It was never a problem under the old firmware, but iPhone 3.0 apparently is making a deliberate effort to force people to switch to a true iPhone data plan. Pay-as-you-go people are apparently also subject to this problem.

Twitter buddy @mikecane suggested I try Twitter Search after Google failed to produce a solution. Thanks to a post by @matt_morales, I was directed to www.limitededitioniphone.com that fixed my problem. As the site suggests, I turned on wifi on my iphone and went to the website to run the APN configuration program. After a reboot, everything worked.

Matt Miller at ZDNet Smartphones and Cell Phones reported having this same problem at about the same time as me. Matt is spreading the word about the fix on his blog. JK on the Run also has information about this issue. Thanks everyone! I'm so happy that my iPhone didn't turn into an iPod Touch!

1 comment:

iphone said...

Iphone 3.0 OS release date, software download, 3.o OS features and the video overview to the 3.0 os of the iphone which come in the market in 17th june. This is the really nice feature such as the copy,cut,past, 30 languages and 40 keyboard layout, push notification, landscape keyboard, voice memos, spotlight search, improved calendar.
So in this iphone new os 3.0 having great facilities then older one. This is the small detail to this Iphone 3.0 but if you want to know more about this Iphone 3.0 os .
Visit: - http://dhil-de.blogspot.com/2009/06/iphone-30-release-updates-software.html

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...