Sunday, April 20, 2008

Gutsy Gibbon Up and Running

OK, so I don't know how to take a decent screenshot. I managed to get Ubuntu version 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) up and running on my Samsung Q1. I'm typing this post on it now. After much tweaking and re-reading of the instructions I posted in an earlier post, I got the touchscreen working. The callibration isn't perfect, but it's good enough for onscreen navigation and light text entry using the on-screen keyboard.

I installed the matchbox keybard because it's smaller than the onscreen keyboard that is installed by default. I'm still playing around with that. Mostly, however, I'm keeping the Q1 in the Samsung organizer case and using the USB keyboard/mouse.

I'm not sure that I plan to keep Linux on this device long term, but all this talk about the HP Mini and the EEE PC got me interested in having a Linux experience. If you have some pointers or stuff I should try out, please leave me a comment or catch me on Twitter at Taxman45.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to learn how you did this. I have a NP-Q1 and would like to get this OS installed on it. Any help you can offer would rock. I'll look you up on Twitter.

Rayburn said...

I happened upon your blog while researching OS's to put on a Samsung Q1. I'm an IT professional, and after I read your post I thought hey thats cool. When I read that you are a CPA, and you did this I thought THIS GUY ROCKS!. I wish users in my network were only as talented as you. I play bass, lets Jam!

Thanks
R Clipper
New Orleans

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...