Saturday, November 19, 2011

Printing on Vintage Mac

I have a Mac Classic but I don't have a vintage printer. since word processing is what my Classic does best, I need a way to create output. One way of doing that is to save documents as RTF, transfer them on a Floppy to my MacBook Air and print them by launching Word on the Air. But, With some Googling, I found another way. On the Classic, I selected LaserWriter as my printer using Chooser control panel. Next, I print on the Classic using the normal print function for my Classic application. When the print dialogue pops up, choose print to postscript file. Next save the postscript file to a floppy. My Air can read from but not write to a diskette formatted on the Classic. I can copy the postscript file to my Air from the floppy. If I add an EPS extension to the postscript file, it will open with Preview when I double click on the file after an automatic conversion to a PDF. As the final step, I can either keep the output as a PDF or I can print it to any printer that is accessible to my Air. I realize not everyone will go to this much trouble just to use a vintage Mac, but I'm enjoying this trip down memory lane.

No comments:

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...