Friday, January 22, 2021

Tax Season 2021: Late Start But No Extension

We are underway for another tax season, even though it seems like the last one just ended.  The IRS has announced that it will start accepting e-filed returns on February 12, 2021, which is about two weeks later than usual.  According to IRS Notice IR-2021-16, the February 12 start date allows the IRS to do additional programming and testing of IRS systems following the December 27th tax law changes that provided a second round of economic stimulus payments and other benefits.

There has not any talk of changing the due date past the traditional April 15 deadline. I've been a practitioner for over 35 years and many times I wished that I could have more time to file returns before the deadline.  Last year, when IRS extended the due date to July 15th, I learned the hard lesson that I really didn't want that extra time.  Let's hope we can wrap this up on time in 2021 without having to repeat the tax season from hell.  



No comments:

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...