Sunday, November 9, 2008

Six Random Things

Brent Logan tagged me, according to the following “official” rules:
  • Link to the person who tagged you.
  • Post the rules on your blog.
  • Write 6 random things about yourself.
  • Tag 6-ish people at the end of your post.
  • Let each person know he/she has been tagged.
  • Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
So, without further adieu (I always wanted to say that), here are six things about me:
  1. I was a high school debater.  When I was a Junior in High School, my debate partner and I placed second in the state of Texas UIL Debate Tournament.  We also got to travel unchaperoned to debate at Harvard University that year. w00t! I chose Baylor University because I was going to be on their debate squad.  After one semester, I discovered that there were more fun things to do in college than debate. I’m still pretty good at arguing.
  2. I’m a musician but I don’t read music.  I bought a guitar with my first paycheck as a restaurant dishwasher at 16.  I’ve been playing guitar ever since.  (I still have that Yamaha acoustic too).  My first “gig” was playing guitar and singing our senior song at graduation (“Along the Road” by Dan Fogelberg). I started a classic rock cover band called “Old School” when I was 40 and now I’m a worship leader for contemporary worship at Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church.
  3. I still remember my first paid job at 15.  Me and another guy got paid $50 each to peel and de-vein 100 lbs of fresh shrimp for a local restaurant.  My mom threw away my clothes when I got home.
  4. My first car was a 1972 lime green Ford Pinto.  There was a big scandal about those cars blowing up if they were hit by the gas tank.  I was in high school and remember leaving campus early with my friends on a rainy day.  I rounded a corner too fast and my car swerved into the path of an oncoming car that struck the Pinto near the gas tank.  We were so afraid it was going to explode that we jumped out of the car into a ditch.  I learned what Bondo was after that experience.
  5. I had a 4.0 GPA in college and was the highest ranking graduate from the business school at my university that year.  As I got closer to graduating, not making my first “B” became a bigger and bigger deal.  I almost blew it by working as a bartender the night before my Western Civilization history final exam.  I never knew for certain if I squeaked it out or whether my professor didn’t want to give me my first “B”.  Either way, thanks!
  6. I knew the moment I met my wife that I wanted to marry her.  We met on March 28, were engaged on May 14, and married on November 16 of the same year. We will be married 23 years this month. I am very blessed to have found and married my one true love.
Enough about me.  I’d like to tag these six people:


1 comment:

Brent Logan said...

Ha! A "chariot of fire." ;-) I probably don't have too much room to laugh with my gold 74 Super Beetle that had already been rolled once (the bondo was discovered when I repeated the feat driving back to college after Christmas break; that didn't impress the girls riding in the car with me...).

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...