Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vintage Mac Update: Doing the Wash

The sound on my Mac Classic doesn't work and my hard drive is no longer recognized by the machine.  I think the hard drive issue might be due to a loose ribbon cable connecting the drive to the motherboard. The sound issue is likely due to leaking capacitors on the mother board (see post on Leaky Caps).

Today, I had a little free time, so I decided to open up the Mac Classic and check out what was inside.  My first challenge in doing so was that I didn't have a Torx T15 screwdriver that was long enough to loosen the screws in the top of the case inside the handle.  Therefore, a trip to Sears was in order to buy the Craftsman 6" Torx screw driver part # 48171 for $6.99.  My local Sears had the item in stock so I was in and out in a flash. (That's important to me because I hate going to the mall!).

I was scared to open the Mac Classic because it has an old-school CRT inside.  CRT's potentially retain high voltage that might kill you.  I encourage you to search this topic and be knowledgeable before you root around inside the Mac.  Don't do it just because I did!  After researching the subject, I rightly or wrongly concluded that I could remove the motherboard without killing myself.
Flickr photo credit: markltb

When I pulled the motherboard out of the Mac, it actually looked pretty clean.  The PRAM battery was dead as I mentioned in a previous post.  How did I know this?  The clock doesn't remember the time and the Mac doesn't remember any settings.  That's how you know.  Fortunately, the battery (1/2 AA size) hadn't leaked or become corroded.  Still, I pulled it out to be safe.  I'll order another online if I can get the Mac working otherwise.

Several websites recommend that you remove all the old capacitors from the motherboard and replace them with new ones made from a different material that doesn't contain liquid.  You can find several websites discussing this.  Others have suggested that the Mac starts working again if you give the motherboard a good cleaning.  Some people suggest putting the motherboard in an empty dishwasher (without detergent and without using the dry cycle).  I didn't see my wife going for this, so I opted to immerse the board in some warm water with a little dish soap and used an old toothbrush to clean around the capacitors.  I am now drying the board thoroughly before I put it back into the Mac.  I dried it first with a paper towel, then used the blow dryer and now I have it propped up in front of a fan.

I'll report back on how it works!

Links: Washing memory board, Bringing a Zebra Motherboard Back to Life, Repairing a Macintosh SE/30 with No Sound

UPDATE: As much as I hoped my Mac Classic would start from the hard drive with a resounding beep, that didn't happen. In fact, there was no change. I get some sound when I plug a speaker into the 3.5 mm jack on the back of the Mac but nothing from the speaker itself. I can live without sound. It's not like the Mac Classic will run iTunes! But, swapping floppies is the reason hard drives were invented. I'm going to look for a replacement hard drive for the Mac Classic.

No comments:

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...