Monday, March 5, 2012

Sit No More

I sit for a living.  I'm damn good at it too.  In fact, I'd put my sitting up against anybody on the planet.  All day I sit.  All day I sit and I work on the computer.  All day I sit, work on the computer, preparing tax returns and tax projections and writing about taxes.  Want my job? Didn't think so.

Today, I quit.  I didn't quit working on tax stuff. I didn't quit working on the computer.  I did quit sitting.

I read this article by Crackberry Kevin about his experience with a stand-up desk.  Mashable says sitting all day is bad for you too in this article.

Kevin Tofel is a stand-up kind of guy to.  See here

So is Brad Linder.  Check it out

And now. So am I.




Crackberry Kevin has this amazing $3000 motorized standing desk. Mine is a $129 table from Home Goods that my wife spotted.  There's just enough room for my phone, my MacBeast Pro and my scanner. I put it right in front of my office window so I can look out at the world while I stand all day.

So now my job is completely different.  I stand. I stand all day.  I stand all day working on the computer. I stand all day working on the computer, preparing tax returns and tax projections and writing about tax stuff.  Ok it's not THAT different, but now I'm going to live longer, be healthier, see how the traffic is going outside, and maybe someday I'll still be able to get around and do fun stuff when I'm no longer working on taxes all day.

UPDATE:  I've been standing nearly all day for over a week.  I think I can do this.  I'm still using the $129 table from Home Goods, but I've tweaked the setup a bit.



No comments:

My  Blog is Still Here...Where am I? My last blog entry was in January 2021, yet my blog is  still here.  I've seen too many blog posts ...